Monday, June 13, 2011

The Point Between Rage & Serenity

 Kurt: Someone so beautiful should not be so angry.
Storm: Sometimes anger can help you survive.
Kurt: So can faith.

I've been on a pretty big X Men kick lately, mostly due to the two times I've seen X Men: First Class in theatres in as many weeks. I've been a huge fan of the X Men since I was a wee lad. When I was a chunky, individualistic, awkward elementary school misfit, these characters and their world provided a security blanket and safe haven I could identify with and lose myself in. Some six years later, I have a much better sense of self and confidence, but I didn't approach First Class with any less enthusiasm. It's spectacular. I initially approached the concept of the film with trepidation (how could anyone besides Patrick Stewart possibly be Charles Xavier?) but the new cast is awesome. I enjoyed the cameo appearances by Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn especially. But Michael Fassbender's performance as Magneto gave me chills. He captured the multi-tiered and dangerous structure that is the metal-bender's soul with grace and finesse. I'm the first to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for the anti-hero. Erik Lansherr is not so much a villain as the result of human darkness and cruelty. Brought up differently, his intentions may have had a nobler bent. Fassbender was the perfect manifestation of Magneto's rage, pain, and the small glimmer of goodness that holds it all together. Not to mention...UNF.

Magentar: The Last Fassbender.


So I'm pretty nerdy/passionate about this. Anyway, here are the musings of the week:


Last week I pointed out to one of my middle-aged male co-workers that the way he complains about his weight makes him sound like a 16-year-old girl. I spoke in jest, but the truth of the statement still resounds. Having been a 16-year-old girl, I can say I am somewhat of an expert on the subject. Being a girl is tougher than it looks to the untrained eye and can often be a frightening and confusing experience. Not unlike Mutants, our bodies go through crazy changes without the slightest warning and worry often plagues us en masse when we wonder what others may think of us. I can't say I speak for every girl ever (what a nightmare that would be) but I do know what it's like to feel like I'm a prisoner in my own body, that everyone must think I am a hideous lagoon creature, that no one could ever possibly love or accept me.
To paraphrase Lord Voldemort's twitter: "Don't worry what people think of you, because most people aren't thinking." Evil fictional character or not, he has a valid point. Chances are, you are way more beautiful than you think. Chances are people do not think "oh, look at that fatass" everywhere you go. I mean, the most important thing will always be how you view yourself, but don't waste valuable time and energy worrying what others think of you. The only person you should improve for is you. 
Right. Way easier said than done. I've struggled with body image and the way the upperclassmen music majors must judge me for my robot hat, but I'm getting better at doing the things I like and looking the way I want simply because I want to. Self-confidence is not a flimsy excuse to be lazy or sloppy, but it is a surefire way to feel better about yourself no matter what. And it doesn't hurt to hang around people who remind you how awesome you are.


And besides, even if you're not fat or ugly, if you complain about how fat-slash-ugly you are all day long, no one will ever love you. Not because you are fat-slash-ugly, but because you are annoying as all get-out.

Don't let negativity destroy you, whether it comes from outside or from within.

0 comments: