Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Temples of Syrinx be Damned

It’s almost time for me to go back to school! I feel like this summer has gone by pretty fast, but at the same time, the second half of May feels like eons ago. That's a hyperbole. La.

Anyway, I’m stoked for my sophomore year and my awesome roomies-to-be and the classes I’m taking and the ensembles I’m going to be in. I know how to do the college thing now, and I’m ready to hit the ground running. Woo.

I had an epiphany today. Here’s some background for it:

In October, I will be an employee of my local school district for two years. The only legitimate, official-paycheck-receiving job I’ve ever had has been custodial work. I’ve mentioned before that this bothers me not in the least, because I enjoy the atmosphere and the myriad interesting people I have met and befriended, a more colorful bunch than the wide range of chemicals we use. I’ve learned from the job itself and from those I work with both about myself in relation to the world, and how to improve that standing. I get a lot of satisfaction from working with my hands, and I would rather dance in the loading dock while hosing down blinds than sit in a cubicle any day.

But I have learned that no job is perfect, and no matter where your employment hails from, you must deal with insufferable co-workers or customers, chaotic administration, and the pressure to meet the haphazard standards of your various superiors. This summer has been stressful for me for many of the above listed reasons, but most days I like the think the pros outweigh the cons.

That all being said, sometimes the only thing getting me through the day is the knowledge that this gig is only a step on my long-term employment journey. I’m going to school to be a professional musician, after all. Just keep going, I tell myself, you won’t be stuck cleaning (fill in the blank) forever.

But as the summer has gone on, I began to realize that I really wouldn’t mind any kind of job, from a dish washer to a pizza delivery girl, as long as at the end of the day, I got to go home to someone I loved, and who loved me. Nothing is ever as bad as it could be if you know what you’ve got waiting for you at home.

I’m going to school with the ultimate goal of using my musical talents (and biblical and religious knowledge) in some form of ministry, whether by joining a church as their worship leader, or playing on a team that tours youth conferences, or whatever God tells me to do with my life. Ideally, this would be a full-time job and career path for me, but today (this is the epiphany, so pay attention)

I decided that I really don’t care what kind of job I have. Right now, I am so blessed to be able to go to a school with a phenomenal music program and professors who are totally committed to helping me learn and grow in my calling. There is no doubt in my mind the next three years will hold untold experience for me, and I will graduate equipped to be the best musician possible. I also firmly believe that God has placed this calling on my life, and he has given me the talents I have for the purpose of serving him and furthering his kingdom.

And that’s enough. As long as I serve in some musical, ministering capacity, I could be driving a garbage truck full time for all I care. When I’m older I know I will have all sorts of monetary responsibilities, and I will make sure there are all met and taken care of. 

To quote Rush, “Listen to my music/ And hear what it can do/ There’s something here as strong as life/ I know that it will reach you” (2112, IV: Presentation).

My passions don’t have to pay my bills. So long as the bill-paying never gets in the way of my passion.

0 comments: